Sunday, June 8, 2008

{fern, petunias & english ivy}

With some visitors coming to the house and not having devoted any time to the yard yet, I needed a quick fix - particularly at the entrance to our home. We already had the urns from last year, so I just went with the ferns...not normally my favorite, but I was pleased with the instant gratification and I have continued to enjoy them so far.

Plant: Fern (totally unsure of the type or variety - no information was included with them) I intentionally chose the more upright version so it wouldn't get in the way of actually entering the house.
Purchases at: Home Depot
Planted: May 17, 2008 - front porch
Photo Taken: June 6, 2008
Planting Notes: Simply relocated from their purchased pots to the urns.

As I chose flowers, I tried to stick with colors that would complement the red we have used in the front (the door and the pillows). I really loved these petunias and the nice shade of yellow. The hanging pot holder on the front door is one of my favorite things! Sorry the 2nd photo isn't very good quality.
Plant: Lemon Zest Petunia (petunia hybrid)
Purchased at: Home Depot
Planted: May 17, 2008 - front porch
Photo Taken: June 6, 2008
Planting Notes: I divided one purchased plant into to pots.
Details provided upon purchase: Full Sun - Low Height - Hardy to 32 - Blooms Spring to Fall - grows to 3' mound - plant food recommended

Since the 2nd pot for the petunias was wider, I opted to add some ivy.

Plant: English Ivy (hedera helix)
Purchased at: Home Depot
Planted: May 17, 2008 - front porch
Photo Taken: June 6, 2008
Planting Notes: Added three small plants to a pot with petunias, spread a few inches apart
Details provided upon purchase: Hardy, easy-to-grow house plant with dark green leaves, pinch back to promote fullness; Full Sun - Spacing 12-18" - Size 6-12" - Low Watering - Hardy to -25

9.17.08 - Ivy did well. Petunias were very pretty but got too long and stringy. I cut them back and so far they haven't done anything else. The ferns did fantastic through most of the summer. Just a few weeks ago they started to look bad and shed. It hasn't even gotten cool yet, but looks like their day is almost done.

No comments: